Privacy Collection Statement
Information we collect and hold
McDonald’s collects personal information about you in a number of ways, including: via our websites (including www.mcdonalds.com.au), social media pages, and internal websites or intranet (each a “Website”); via our mobile and tablet applications (each an “Application”); and when you interact with us and provide personal information by any other means including either physically or electronically (“Collection Channels”). Personal information that McDonald’s collects and holds may include your name, email address, delivery address, date of birth, phone number, payment method, social media handles, photographs of you and other identifying information you choose to provide via a particular Collection Channel. When you use a Website or Application, we may also collect personal information about you in the following general categories:
- Location information: If you permit an Application to access location services through the permission system in your mobile device, we may collect the precise location of your device when the Application is running in the foreground or background in order to deliver your order or to send you alerts such as the location of your nearest McDonald’s restaurant.
- Transaction information: We collect your transaction details when you place an order via a Website or Application, including the products you have ordered, the date and time of your order and the amount charged.
- Device information: We may collect information about your mobile device such as the hardware model, operating system, preferred language, unique device identifier and mobile network.
- Employee information: If you are a job applicant, an employee in one of our restaurants or our corporate offices, or a former employee, using a Website or Application as part of your job, we may collect information about the training modules you have completed, the forms you have submitted, the approvals you have given or received, and other similar information related to your job.
- Other information: We may also collect and log information such as your IP address, access dates and times, browser type and pages visited when you interact with a Website or Application.
In addition to the information listed above, in some cases we may collect personal information about you from third parties, including:
- When you choose to create an account or register for a product or service via a Website or Application using a social media platform such as Facebook;
- When a third party has your consent to disclose your personal information to us, such as when you enter a competition or promotion administered by a third party on our behalf; and
- When it is otherwise lawful for a third party to disclose your personal information to us.
How McDonald’s collects and holds personal information
Active information collection
McDonald’s may collect your personal information via our Collection Channels when you:
a. purchase a product or make a booking through a Website or Application;
b. participate in any offers, marketing activities and/or promotional activities;
c. contact us or provide us with personal information directly via any medium including a Website or Application, SMS (Short Message Service), MMS (Multimedia Message Service), IM (Instant Messaging) and email (“Electronic Messages”), social media platforms, mail, telephone and in person;
d. interact with a Website or Application for a specific purpose;
e. browse a Website or Application generally;
f. sign-up to, or register an account via, any Collection Channel; or
g. apply for employment with McDonald’s.
Mobile platforms such as iOS and Android generally define certain types of information or data that applications cannot access without your consent. Each platform has its own permissions system for obtaining your consent. For example, the iOS platform generally alerts you the first time a McDonald’s Application wants permission to access certain types of data, such as location services, and will let you choose whether or not to consent to that request. Android devices will generally notify you of the permissions that a McDonald’s Application seeks before you first use the Application, and your use of the Application constitutes your consent. You can generally manage your platform level permissions via the Settings section on your device. For more information, please contact your device provider or refer to the user manual for your device.
Cookies and passive information collection
As you navigate through our Websites and access our Applications, certain information can be passively collected (that is, gathered without you actively providing the information) using various technologies, such as cookies, Internet tags or web beacons, and navigational data collection (log files, server logs, and clickstream data). For example, we may collect information about matters including but not limited to the date, time and duration of visits and which pages of a Website or Application are most commonly accessed. This information is generally not linked to the identity of visitors, except where a Website or Application is accessed via links in an Electronic Message we have sent or where we are able to uniquely identify the device or user accessing a Website or Application.
We may combine your anonymous or personal visitor session information or other information collected through tracking technologies with other personal information collected from you from time to time via our Collection Channels, in order to understand and measure your online experiences and to determine what products, promotions and services are likely to be of interest to you. By accessing a Website or Application via links in an email we have sent and/or by accessing a Website or Application where you have identified yourself, you consent to the collection of such information where it is personal information.
Purposes for which McDonald’s collects, holds, uses and discloses personal information
Personal information collected may be used for a number of purposes connected with our business operations, which include the following primary purposes:
- For the purposes stated on a particular Collection Channel.
- To maintain and improve the functionality of a Website or Application to provide better service to Website or Application visitors and users, including the compilation and analysis of statistics and trends, the provision of information to you relating to the content available on that Website or Application and any e-commerce transactions conducted via that Website or Application.
- To fulfil obligations in respect of any sale and purchase contract and/or any other contract between you and McDonald’s.
- To manage your orders and facilitate payment.
- To send you any technical, administrative or legal notices important to our Websites and Applications.
- To provide you with information about your transactions (including uploading of, access to, and receipt of, content on a Website or Application and purchase transactions undertaken on a Website or Application), content, services and products.
- To provide marketing materials and information about our products and services, events, special offers, competitions and promotions via any medium including mail, telephone and, where you have opted in, Electronic Messages or any other form of electronic, emerging, digital or conventional communications channel, or to request your feedback for promotional purposes.
- To maintain our relationship with you.
- To respond to customer enquiries or complaints.
- To manage your employment or process your application for employment with McDonald’s, including McDonald’s franchisees and facilitate effective employment practices.
- To obtain opinions or comments about products and/or services and to conduct other market research and development (including to record statistical data for marketing analysis).
- If you are registering for a Collection Channel other than the MyMacca’s Club, to also register you as a member of the MyMacca’s Club where this purpose is disclosed to you at the point of collection of your personal information.
- To enter you into and administer promotions.
- To provide, maintain and improve our products and services.
- To customise a Website or Application based on your preferences.
- To allow you to use and enjoy the functionality of a Website or Application.
- To share with trusted third parties including professional service providers, our related bodies corporate, our franchisees, our suppliers and our promotional partners and other trusted third parties (and their directors, servants and agents) and agencies (McDonald’s Family).
- To share with your social media communities, to the extent allowed by you.
Not providing information
Failure to provide personal information via our Collection Channels may result in you being unable to register for certain products or services, participate in a promotion, access elements of a Website or Application, place orders, make contributions to a Website or Application, and/or McDonald’s being unable to provide you with relevant content, products and/or services. For example, we may be unable to process your orders and enquiries, set up an account for you, include you in a promotion, provide you with employment information, or provide you with upcoming promotion, event or product information and/or accept promotion entries (where applicable).
Sharing your personal information
Members of the McDonald’s Family may be engaged by McDonald's to perform a variety of functions, such as fulfilling orders, conducting market research, processing credit card payments, assisting with promotions, data storage and providing technical services for our Websites and Applications. These companies may have access to personal information if needed to perform such functions. However, these companies may only use such personal information for the purpose of performing that function and may not use it for any other purpose.
Contact by McDonald’s and third parties
Members of the McDonald's Family and other trusted third parties (and their directors, servants and agents), either in Australia or overseas, may contact you via Electronic Messages, telephone, post or any other form of electronic, emerging, digital or conventional communications channel using the personal information provided, in respect of the primary purposes for collection of personal information as stated above.
Despite removing you from the database from receiving future advertising and marketing information or, if applicable, removing you from particular communication channels as selected by you, McDonald’s may send you non-commercial, administrative Electronic Messages which relate to an existing user account. Non-commercial, administrative Electronic Messages may include administrative and transaction confirmations, requests and inquiries or information about a particular McDonald’s user account.
If you no longer wish to receive any communications from McDonald’s via an Application, you may delete the Application from your mobile or other device.
Ability of others to view information
McDonald’s may provide areas on a Website or Application where you can upload user-generated content, post or provide information about yourself, communicate with other users, provide reviews for content, products and/or services or interact with or vote on particular content. This information may be publically posted on a McDonald’s Website or Application and/or shared with others, including without limitation, on social media platforms and other public forums in which you choose to participate. This information may become publically available and may be read, collected and used by others outside of a McDonald’s Website or Application. McDonald’s is not responsible for the conduct of others who may read, collect and use this information.
McDonald's is very sensitive to privacy issues. We are proud of our long-time commitment to our customers. McDonald’s does not intend to collect personal information from any person under the age of 18 years without the consent of a parent or legal guardian. We urge parents to regularly monitor and supervise their children's on-line activities.
Security of personal information
McDonald’s will endeavour to take all reasonable steps to keep secure any personal information recorded, and to keep this information complete, accurate and up to date. All information is passed through to a secure server using encryption technology and stored on secure servers that are protected in controlled facilities, which in some cases may be overseas. McDonald's employees and data processors are obliged to respect the confidentiality of any personal information held by McDonald's. However, security of communications over the Internet cannot be guaranteed, and therefore absolute assurance that information will be secure at all times cannot be given. McDonald's will not be held responsible for events arising from unauthorised access to personal information beyond McDonald's reasonable control.
Disclosure of personal information to overseas recipients
In some cases, McDonald’s may disclose your personal information to overseas recipients, including but not limited to recipients in the United States of America, Japan, Malaysia and Singapore. McDonald’s employees and data processors are obliged to respect the confidentiality of any personal information held by McDonald’s.
Access to personal information
You are in control of any personal information you provide to us. If at any time, you would like to access, review, correct and/or delete the personal information we have about you, or if you would like to change your preferences for contacts from us, you can let us know via the contact details listed below. Please allow 30 days for this request to be processed.
Your personal information may be stored in different locations depending upon the reason for which you originally submitted the information. If you make an inquiry in relation to your personal information, the more information you can provide us about when you originally submitted your personal information, the quicker McDonald's will be able to retrieve your personal information.
If requested, all reasonable steps to delete personal information will be made, except where it is required for legal reasons. Deletion of information may result in McDonald's being unable to facilitate or provide you with information about certain transactions (including the uploading of, access to, and receipt of, content on a Website or Application, and purchase transactions undertaken on a Website or Application), other content, services or product information, upcoming promotions, competitions or event information, and/or provide certain content, products or services.
Links to other sites
Our Websites or Applications may, from time to time, offer links to sites that may be of interest to you but which are not operated by McDonald's. Their inclusion cannot be taken to imply any endorsement or validation by us of the content of the third party website. Linked websites are responsible for their own privacy practices. If you visit one of these linked websites, you should review their privacy and other policies. We are not responsible, nor do we accept any liability, for the policies, practices and conduct of other companies linked to any McDonald’s Website or Mobile Application.
We may use third party advertisements on our Websites and Applications. All third party advertising, if paid for, is paid for by the relevant third party advertisers. Third party advertisements are not recommendations or endorsements by McDonald’s or any of its affiliates. To the extent permitted by law, McDonald’s is not responsible for the content (including representations) of any third party advertisement on a Website or Application. Cookies may be associated with these advertisements to enable the advertiser to track the number of anonymous users responding to the campaign.